The History of Meldrum House
Translated from the Gaelic, Meall Druim means the ridge on the hill. Meldrum House’s history can be traced back to the 13th century. That’s when the original tower house was built on a rocky outcrop, at the highest point in the area. Originally the property of Philip de Fedarg, believed to be a Knight Templar, he changed his name to Meldrum and bestowed that name on the parish.
1628 saw the addition of the original stable block, including the central tower still prominent today, with a carved stone coat of arms on the North-East face.
Major RemodellingThe house was considerably extended in the 17th and 18th centuries, with the addition of two wings, creating a substantial courtyard. The elegant stone staircase and the stables block, with its own impressive gatehouse, were also built around this time.
In 1836 the house was redesigned. At the same time, the grounds were substantially remodelled to provide the basis of the lawns, plantings and trees that remain today.
The house was redesigned again some 100 years later, removing the turreted pavilion and a complete storey of the main house to leave the L-shaped house of today.
Modern TimesMeldrum House opened as a hotel in the 1950s and quickly earned an international reputation for fine food and genuine Scottish hospitality – a reputation it maintains to this day. The golf course has been open for more than a decade.
In recent years the 4 Star hotel has undergone a comprehensive upgrading programme, including all the guest areas. The Gate House and The Stables have also been renovated to provide first-class guest accommodation and conference facilities.